St Michael’s & All Angels, Gittisham
We are a small but committed family of worshippers who (normally) meet once a week to worship in our historical and beautiful building
Our Church is currently closed for services
St Michael’s Gittisham is now OPEN for private prayer and reflection
every Wednesday from 3-7pm.
Normally the church is open every day from 9- 6pm in summer and 10-4pm in winter. With all churches closed the Honiton Team have introduced Zoom and telephone services and it now welcomes over 30 participants to the Sunday virtual services. Using Zoom everyone at home can see each other and share in the service. If anyone would like to join either by Zoom or telephone or see more about Worship Resources please see the HMC main page OR email our Lay Minister, Julia Barrett.
Under normal circumstances . . .
All our services are usually at 11am
1st Sunday All Age Worship followed by ‘Café and Chat’.
2nd Sunday All Age Service Parish Eucharist
3rd Sunday Traditional Matins or Morning Worship
4th Sunday Parish Eucharist
5th Sunday Combined Mission Community Service at St Paul’s Honiton
Please contact our Lay Minister or Churchwarden for further information Link to contacts page
Our Regular Activities
Coffee Together : 3rd Saturday of the Month in the Parish Room
Bell ringing Practice: every Tuesday Evening 8- 9pm
(usually alternating between Buckerell, Offwell, Gittisham & Awliscombe. New Ringers including beginners welcome. Contact Maggie Walker for further information)
All services, activities and PCC meetings are currently suspended
but will resume when possible
Gittisham VE Day Commemoration at the Lych Gate
Private Clifford Wensley and Captain Peter Young
Cliff and Peter served in the same Wiltshire Regiment – although, the two men had very different wars. While reflecting on both of these serving men’s experiences we are made aware of the contrast, and so can begin to understand the very mixed feelings of those living seventy five years ago.
The great outpouring of relief and joy on May 8th 1945 at the end of the war in Europe was inevitably tempered by grief for the loss of loved ones who would never return home and for those who returned with life-changing physical and mental injuries. These, alongside the fears for the many still caught up in the ongoing war in the Far East.
This made for a poignant backdrop to the impromptu expression of remembrance, beautifully performed by Gittisham’s very own opera singer Alison Kettlewell which was enjoyed from the safety of our homes and gardens and by passers- by taking their daily exercise. Alison’s performance at this difficult time, brought tears to the eyes of many, as all of us, in different ways are experiencing some form of loss, whether it be our freedom of movement or being separated from those we hold most dear. It is in remembering and sharing, that we as a community draw closer together.
St Michael’s has been the focus of spiritual life in Gittisham for over 600 years. The first reference to the original church is in 1244. It was built, or partly so, in 1321 and named St Michael’s – though it was not at that time dedicated to this Saint and it is therefore thought that an earlier church may have existed on the same site. The actual date of dedication is not known but there is a record of the order for dedication being made in 1331 and in1498 mentioned in the will of Thomas Colpriest.
The church stands in the centre of the village set back from the Village Green. It is built of dressed flint, with lime mortar render and is in the early English and Perpendicular styles. Distinctive architectural features include; C18th Box Pews installed in 1715; a wagon roof; a collection of hatchments; several stained glass windows and monuments and memorials to the Beaumont, Putt and Marker families – the successive owners of the Combe Estate. There is also a Georgian West Gallery not currently accessible to the public and some interesting carvings on stone pillars including a Green Man.
The churchyard wall was built in 1720 and the oldest grave on which the inscription is still legible is dated 1616. The present Lych- Gate was erected after the Second World War and also serves as a war memorial.
The Tower contains five bells after the installation of two new bells in 1992.
More detailed information about St Michael’s history is available in the Church in return for a small donation. .Any queries about the building please contact our Churchwarden.
The PCC wishes to thank everyone who is supporting St Michael’s Church either by existing covenant, contributing to the Parish Giving Scheme or supporting the 200 Club.
The introduction of the Parish Giving Scheme and the generous uptake from supporters is enabling St Michael’s to weather this lockdown storm.
With no services and no fund raising activities possible the income is enabling the PCC to maintain the church, churchyard, support the clergy and pay its regular bills.
If you would like to make a donation or receive further details about the Parish Giving Scheme or 200 Club contact our Treasurer
Licensed Lay Minister with particular responsibility for St Michael’s:
Julia Barrett 01404 850680 email
Church Warden: Carol McCann 01404 851113
PCC Secretary: Judith Turner 01404 851061
Treasurer: Ian Warne 01395 488932
Safeguarding Representative: Sarah Agg-Manning 01404 851177
Bell Captain: Maggie Walker 01404 850056