For other services and events, see the weekly Pew Leaflet
Sunday October 29th
St Mary Magdalene Church
In the past the Parish of Monkton has been linked with Cotleigh and then more latterly, with Upottery and Luppitt. It became a member parish of the Honiton Team Ministry in 1984. It lost its rectory (now the Monkton Court Hotel) in 1904.
The parish comprises a small rural and predominately farming community, (Population approx. 130) The main A 30 road remains a major obstacle to village communication. Plans to bypass the village were shelved some years ago. In recent months it has been noticed that the size of lorries coming through the village has increased which we suspect is due to the Iron Bridge having been bypassed and the link to the M5 established.
The Church is in a good state of repair with extensive work having been carried out on the tower in 1997. The churchyard grass is cut diligently by one of the churchwardens.
Medieval West Tower, much renewed – the rest rebuilt by Hayward after a fire in 1863 – a characteristically austere design.
Windows with flush tracery, two buttresses on the South side.
The East truss of the nave roof effectively forms the arch into the narrow stepped-up chancel. Stained glass East window of 1874 by Morris & Co., designed by Burne-Jones. Christ, The virgin and St John erected in the memory of the Gard family.
Four North windows and three South windows, of 1879, on the nave and Tower windows, of 1892, also by Morris & Co.
There was also Morris & Co. stencilling on the walls – now lamentably hidden by colour-wash .
Monkton Church first had electricity in 1955.