For other services and events, see the weekly Pew Leaflet
Further information can be found in our Leaflets or by contacting the Parish Office (normally open Monday to Friday 09.30 - 12.30):
99 High Street, Honiton, EX14 1PG 01404 44035 Email: email@example.com
Our Main Worship
The Parish embraces the ‘ancient and modern' for it includes the small village of Gittisham, with its cottages of cob walls and thatched roofs, and Gittisham Vale, an estate of houses and bungalows built less than 20 years ago.
The known history of the church dates back to 1244 although available records show that it was named St Michael's in 1321. The church is built of dressed flint, cement covered, and is in the early English and Perpendicular styles.
The interior is 18th century with box pews, which were installed in 1715, a wagon roof and a collection of hatchments.
Extensive work was carried out on the Tower last year and this year Quinquennial work is under way. The tower has 5 bells and a small ringing team.
St Michael’s Church has an average Sunday attendance of between 20 and 30, services held at 11am with Family Communion 1st Sunday, Parish Communion 2nd & 4th, sung Matins 3rd and the 5th as announced. Baptisms, Weddings and Funerals are held regularly in church. A new section of graveyard was consecrated in 1998.
The parish is served by a retired priest who lives in a house for duty, beside the church, provided by the Combe Estate.
Gittisham, is a pretty village dating back further than the Doomsday book, with some 85 dwellings mostly thatched, many of which are old estate workers cottages and are owned by the Combe Estate. There are 7 farms, an Arabian horse stud farm, one hotel (the old manor house), a forge, a shop and tea room, a studio gallery, a village hall, a residential home, other workshops and a Caravan Club of Great Britain site.
The parishioners are from all types of background, professional, white collar, agricultural/horticultural, building and self employed. The ‘modern’, Gittisham Vale, was built on farm land and totals about 200 homes, 75% of which are bungalows. The make-up is mostly of retired or semi-retired professional and white collar people. There are also a few young married couples with young children. The Vale was built very much on the open plan type of estate, and incorporates a pub/inn.
The PCC is chaired by a Churchwarden, with 12 members plus an ex-officio secretary, meeting about 5 times per year. There is 1 Deanery Synod members, two Team Council members plus the Team council secretary. One member is a governor to Feniton Church of England Primary School. Gittisham is pleased to be part of the Honiton Team and enjoys the Team spirit along with a wider ecumenical fellowship.
There is an active Village Hall Social Club which organises many and varied events. Lately the bus service to Honiton has been changed into a daily service from a weekly one and is now extended to Taunton and Chard. There is no longer a school in the village; the primary children travel to Feniton (3 miles) and the secondary children travel to Ottery St. Mary (4 miles); several children attend private schools in the area.
Features of the parish include the enormous community spirit and the fact that almost all of those living in the old village live and work in the area. Gittisham is not a ‘holiday home’ village and there is great camaraderie.
One Sunday each month the retired priest, together with a small group of parishioners, visits the residential home to hold a short service with communion.